Diabetes patients needs to be extra careful of their diet and should take only recommended food which does not let the diabetes to augment.
What Foods should a Diabetic eat in Type-II Diabetes?
Diabetes mellitus type 2 or adult-onset diabetes is a metabolic disorder characterized by hyperglycemia in the context of insulin resistance and lack of insulin. Some classic symptoms are excess thirst, frequent urination and constant hunger. Obesity is one of the primary causes of type 2 diabetes. Thus one should consume only prescribed food.
Types of Food to be Preferred among the Diabetics
- Choose whole fruits because dried fruits can be very high in sugar. Apples, pears and plums have low glycemic values. One can add Berries to cereal and salads. Kiwi fruit, passion fruit, cherries, grapefruit, lemons and limes are also great.
- Beans (including navy, pinto, Lima, soy, black, white, garbanzo, and kidney) are a winning combination of high-quality carbohydrates, lean protein, and soluble fiber that helps stabilize your body’s blood-sugar levels and keeps hunger in check.
- Vegetables also have to be regulated, even though to a certain point. Vegetables have to be the right ones, in the right amounts and eaten at the right times. Starchy vegetables and corn should be avoided.
- Meat is good for diabetics as long as the fat content is monitored. Avoid or minimize ham, smoked meat, sausages, hot dogs, bacon, and other such products. Cheese, nuts and eggs are also healthy.
- Complex carbs help to control blood sugar. Corn, brown rice, oatmeal, wheat germ, buckwheat, barley, etc. allows splurging carbs